|Youth Community Service (YCS), in partnership with Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD), supports community service and service learning in schools throughout the Palo Alto Unified and the Ravenswood City School Districts. YCS activities involve students, parents, members of the community, and PAUSD teachers and staff. Get involved and make a difference!
Community Service activities occur outside of the regular school
day (after-school, weekends, summer) in conjunction with a YCS club
or the YCS Summer of Service Camp. Service Learning projects are
explicitly linked to current classroom topics, giving students a
deeper, hands-on understanding of the curriculum.
Visit the YCS Web site to find out more about how you can explore the world of service learning.
For Middle and High School Students
- Join the YCS Club at your school
- Attend the YCS Summer of Service Camp (M.S. students only)
- Become a YCS Service Fellow (H.S. students only)
- Find out about service awards and scholarship programs
- Find out where you can serve in the community
For Teachers & PAUSD Staff
- Help lead a YCS club
- Become your school PTA Community Service Representative
- Learn tips for organizing your own service project
- Find out about other youth service opportunities and resources
- Learn how to successfully integrate service into your classroom curriculum
- Attend a Service Learning Workshop independently or with a team
- Join the Service Learning mailing list
- Browse the Service Learning Resource Library
- Learn about funding opportunities
- Find out about local community organizations
Showcase of YCS Projects
Many Palo Alto teachers have developed service learning projects for their classes. For more examples and student feedback, visit the YCS Web site.
Revised June 2003